Saturday, May 17, 2014

Review of "Creating Community" (a book on doing small groups as a main part of your church)

I given this book 3.5 stars out of 5. I read this book at the recommendation of our pastor for the new and small church I attend.  For the vision of the church it definitely had a lot of practical advice that I believe our church will use some of it.  I especially like that the book deals a lot with keeping it simple.  There are easy guidelines to follow. If your church is considering small groups, which I personally believe every church should consider, then this book will be a good addition to your library, especially for those in ANY form of leadership in the church.

What I didn't like about the book:
1. I found it misleading that Andy is listed as the co-author, as he only wrote the introduction. The book is written by Bill Willits (he did a good job).
2. About 11 mentions of scripture, otherwise, not a strong scripture-based book. Some Biblical principles used, but that's about it.
3. A lot of comparisons to "corporate America" and successful business men, which I'm not a fan of as I believe the church is NOT to be compared or modeled as a corporation.
4. It is not a highly spiritual book, so it didn't change my spiritual life, but it did excite me about future community, which does effect our spiritual life.
5. This book is 10 year old, it is time they put out an updated and revised edition.  I would be very interested in a new revised edition.

I would recommend getting the book. You will surely get some great nuggets of truth and some great guidelines for small groups.  It's a short book, so it is a really small investment of your time.  If you even get one thing from this book that will help your church grow into a stronger spiritual community (through small groups), it will have been well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment